Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Red Dress

Unless you are a No Doubt fan you don’t know about this. There is this No Doubt pilgrimage. Where you go to all the different historical places related to the band No Doubt. I didn’t even know about this until I got the internet. Here are some of the places the fans go to: the Beacon Street house, Loara High School, Cal State Fullerton, Disneyland, Newport Beach Hard Rock Café, and the M&M Market (from the “Sunday Morning” video)

Ok since Orange County is like in my backyard I have actually been to some of these places. Like Cal State Fullerton. GO TITANS! Titan Pride. I’ve been to Disneyland too. One place I hadn’t gone to was the Hard Rock Café in Newport Beach that was at the time displaying the iconic red vinyl dress Gwen wore on the cover of “Tragic Kingdom”. I heard she got it at Contempo Casual. I think her red Docs were there too.



Anyway I didn’t really get this information off a fansite. I think I read something on a fansite that got me more interested in finding the restaurant. I think I used a city guide for tourists or something.

On the website I read it said that those items were at the café, so my family went to see them. The ride over there was long and boring.

The funny thing is that I could not find anything in my paper writings about this. I’m just writing this part from memory. When we get there I’m looking around in the restaurant to try and find the dress. When the enthusiastic waiter takes our order I ask were the dress is. He says it’s not there anymore, but that there are other pieces of memorabilia there. I was disappointed, and I got in a lot of trouble for that. To be honest the food wasn’t that good there. It wasn’t all bad. I did get to see Bradley’s (from Sublime) shirt and No Doubt’s “star” that is in the walkway up to the restaurant. I hope someday they will get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I did take a picture of the star. I thought I had a picture of Bradley’s shirt, but I guess it didn’t come out.



From now on when I want to go somewhere I do research; a lot of research.

A few years later I hear that the dress is on display at the Fullerton Museum Center. I was happy that I would finally get to see it. This happened during the beginning of my spring semester. I was at the bookstore buying my books. The store was crowded, and I knew that would upset my dad. They were playing KIIS FM in the book store. After an Enimen song I heard some breaking news. That Gwen’s red “Tragic Kingdom” dress was stolen from the Fullerton Museum Center. I was very upset. I think I said something like “Oh! I wanted to see that!”. It made me think about how vinyl was really big in the mid to late 90s. I think I was wearing a No Doubt shirt because it was Tom Dumont’s (No Doubt‘s guitarist) birthday.

My dad acted stupid and made a scene in the store. He did because we had to wait a long time in line. I don’t know what was worse getting the news that the dress was stolen or my dad making a scene. Word is the dress is owned by a private collector.

No comments:

Post a Comment