Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reunion

I thought it was fitting to post this blog since I wrote about the elementary school reunion in my previous posting. Actually this has a few companion blogs that needed to be posted along with it. But I’ll just post this one for now.

If you would’ve asked me 5 years ago I would have said I was definitely going to my high school reunion. If you would have asked me 3 years I would have said probably. If you ask me now I say I won’t.

Who do I think is going to be the most successful? Me? J/K :P I don’t know really probably one of the smart kids who graduated college and did well high school. That description obviously isn’t me. I’m not saying that is the formula for success. There are plenty of successful people who didn’t go to or finish college.

Of course this is only the 10 year reunion in 2012. I might change my mind by the time the 2022 reunion rolls around. I might even be dead. Not that I want to be. Everybody knows the 10 year reunion is the one where you gloat about your life. I guess I’m just too afraid or too intimidated to go because my life isn’t what I thought or hoped it would be. I wouldn’t want a repeat of what happened to me in high school, and show up to a reunion just to get made fun of. I can just assure everybody who knows me and or reads this blog that I won’t end up like this guy I read about. For some reason I can’t find the story I read about him.

Anyway here’s the story this guy wants to impress his former high school classmates at his reunion, so he rents a fancy car to take there. I think he’s also trying to impress a former girlfriend or something. He pretends to look successful until his cover is blown. He was really a failed P.E. teacher and somebody at the reunion recognized him because their kid had his class. I think there is more to this story, but I’m just telling it from memory. That story is funny and sad.

Or I hope I don’t end up like Dr. Frasier Crane in “Frasier’s Curse”. In this episode Frasier’s high school reunion is coming up. He thinks he has a curse because he is unemployed and he has a terrible job interview. To take his mind off the interview he starts to clean the oven. Later he goes to return some dog food to the store that his dad bought for Eddie. He is still wearing the dingy clothes he was cleaning in. Then he sees a man who threw away cans that can be recycled, so he digs them out of the trash. He runs into a former classmate who thinks he is homeless. When Frasier does eventually show up to the reunion his classmates think he is delusional and shun him.

Too bad my life can’t be like a movie or something and I end up becoming rich overnight. I mean really rich not like Cinderella or anything. Although that would be nice too.

I think the high school reunion takes a whole different turn now with the internet and sites like myspace, facebook and classmates. People can know what you are up to or what you want them to think you are up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment