Monday, April 27, 2009

Onions!

A lot of people think I don’t like onions. I do. I just don’t like raw onions. My favorite kind of onion is the green onion. I also like Mexican onions. They look like green onions except they have a wider rounder bulb on the bottom. I would like to try leeks and scallions. The leek goes well with a farfetch'd.

Here are some things I like onions on/in:
Ramen
Pizza
Quesdillas
Soups
Dip
Spreads
Stews
Omelets
Stir Fry
Chicken Salad (in moderation)
Potato Salad (in moderation)
Macaroni Salad (in moderation)
Onion rings
Funyuns

I hate onions in any form except for ring form in my hamburgers. I don’t like a lot of different things in my hamburgers. Besides onions I don’t like; avocado, pickles, tomatoes, mushrooms, and hot sauce. These were all the things I could think of. There are probably more.

Here are some recipes for you:

Onion Omelet

I prefer to pan fry my omelets instead of baking them.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1-2 chopped green onions. (I use the green ones, but you can use any kind you want.)
A few drops of water
Oil (for frying)
You can also add other things like cheese, bacon, sausage, or peppers

First oil and heat your pan.

Then slice your onions

Add your sliced onions to the hot pan to caramelize

Cook the onions to your desired doneness

Add your other ingredients

Next add your egg. I like to add a little bit of water to it before I scrabble it. I heard that makes the egg fluffier than milk or cream will.

Let your egg cook for a little while then add your other fillings if you are adding them.

Cook omelet to your desired doneness.


Onion Quesidilla

I prefer to pan fry my quesidillas instead of baking or grilling them. I use a dry non stick pan with no oil, fat, or grease. That way they are a little crispy, but not too crispy. I hate when they get too soggy.

Ingredients:
2 tortillas
1-2 chopped green onions. (I use the green ones, but you can use any kind you want.)
Shredded cheese any kind you like
You can also add other things like salsa or chicken meat

First preheat your pan. You can let it preheat as long as you want for the desired doneness of your tortilla.

Then add your shredded cheese. I think the cheese should be added before the onions because when it melts the onions stick to the cheese better than if they were placed first on the tortilla.

After that add your onions I don’t precook my onions before adding them because I think they cook for enough time in the quesidilla. This is also the time when you can your other fillings.

Cook and flip until the cheese has melted or your desired doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment