Monday, August 31, 2009

NKOTB or Blondie?

I'm in a music blog mood today. Remember when I mentioned how I started listing to Blondie at 8? This is the long winded story of the origins of my Blondie fandom.

Who is my favorite boy band…?
Shai…? No.
Silk…? No.
Boyz II Men…? No. Although I do have one of their tapes
The Meaty Cheesy Boys?
Party Posse?
Fingerbang?
I know Dudez-a-plenti!

This is the long story about how I got into Blondie. I’m going to tell it as best as I can from memory since I didn’t keep a diary back then.

Back when I was in like 1st grade most or all of the girls in my class use to fuss over The New Kids on the Block. Back then I didn’t listen to a lot of music. I use to listen to my Disney Children’s Favorites albums. Those are old school. They are the Disneyland Records label. That label doesn’t even exist anymore. Plus I love the cover art on those albums. It has pictures of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Clarabelle Cow, and even Horace. The ones on the wikipedia are the new version. The old albums had a bunch of different characters on the cover. I think Wendy from Peter Pan is on the back of one. This blog has pictures of the old album covers.

The song book

If you were a kid back in like ‘86 you remember the commercial. It’s one of those things that has been stuck in my mind for all these years. I love the commercial.

There was also the classic rock my parents listened to. The funny thing was that at a young age I knew I didn’t really like classic rock. I mean my dad turned me off Hendrix by constantly playing his music. My mom listens to like 70s country rock like Neil Young. She loves Bob Dylan.

I didn’t really have an interest in NKOTB. I didn’t want the dolls or call their 1-900 phone number.

I just want to say I did try to give New Kids a chance. I remember one time my mom wanted to know why I was watching them on tv. To my recollection I had never watched the cartoon. I think it ran against the Muppet Babies.

I would just get so sick of the girls in class arguing about who was the biggest fan, and which member was cuter. They would also kiss their NKOTB lunchboxes.

Perhaps this explains my preference for female fronted bands? But a bad song is a bad song no matter if it is sung by a male or a female or even male and female duo. The same rules apply to a good song.

No comments:

Post a Comment