Monday, October 19, 2009

Let’s Make a Deal

The newest incarnation of Let’s Make a Deal isn’t bad. To be honest I don’t remember the version that ran from 1984-1986. It debut the year I was born, and I really didn’t get into watching game shows until I was 2. Ok maybe 3. I was really into the Price it Right, Card Sharks, and Double Dare back then. I think I didn’t watch the 1990 version either. I have no recollection of it. I did watch the 2003 version, all 3 episodes. It came out around the time the war started.


Looking at the costumes people construct for this version and the 2003 one remind me of my old high school’s Spirit Week. Those weeks would always have theme days like “Nerd Day”, “Animal Day” or “Food Character Day”. Or when the student government was strapped for ideas for theme day they would have Spirit Week during a week with a holiday in it like Halloween or Veteran’s Day. They only needed to come up with 8 themes during a “full” week; four for the people running for the court and four for everybody else. I mean the last day was always class color/school mascot day. Which made me think what if my high school’s mascot was not a person or an animal, but a thing like a tornado? How could you make a tornado costume? Would you just spin around, and get really dizzy? I mean all they need is like a cheer like “freshman suck!” and I’d be back at a lame high school pep rally. I just that could be somebody’s costume on the show. Dress as a disgruntled pep rally attendee.


Some people have a problem with Wayne. I really don’t. I remember when he was on Qwik Witz. That predates Whose Line even though the shows were very similar. He was a good host on Don’t Forget the Lyrics. I didn’t like that show because I found the contestants to be fake and annoying.


There are a few things I noticed about the show: 1 the set is really small, 2 because of the internet it’s way easier to get costumes which I think takes away the originality of the homemade costume aspect, 3 they tape it in Vegas.


Maybe I should go visit my aunt who lives in the area, and then stop by for a taping of the show. I’ll need to bring supplies to construct a lame costume. Since most of the costumes I do construct are lame.


As I watched the show it made me think about that Animaniacs cartoon “I Got Yer Can” starring Slappy Squirrel. This cartoon is about Slappy and her neighbor Candie Chipmunk. Slappy throws a can in Candie’s trash and Candie tells her that she needs to throw it in her own trash. Slappy annoys Candie by finding different ways to give her back the can. There is this one scene where it’s a parody of Let’s Make a Deal. Candie is a contestant on the show and her Zonk prize is the can. Slappy is the model, and Candie has a corn cob costume. Well it’s more like a head piece. It’s like a corn cob on her head. I really like this cartoon because Candie reminds me of an annoying neighbor I use to have at the time this cartoon came out.


A lot of people were upset since Guiding Light was taken off. Personally I really don’t watch daytime soaps. I mean I did a little bit with my mom when I was really little before I went to school. They use to show a lot of preschool toy commercials like for Marshmallow Babies and Water Pets. I did watch The City for a few months during the summer. There was some plotline about somebody who ate some poison fish or something. I’ll admit I did occasionally watch Passions for the hilarity of it. If I recall correctly most of my family watched the soaps on ABC.


According to what I heard game shows are cheap to produce, and probably a lot cheaper to produce than a soap opera. In times like these that’s what the networks want shows that are cheap to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment