Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Shut up and Pray!

Here is the book review I was going to post. I forgot the name of some of the characters. The book is not that fresh in my mind. I read it like 5 months ago.

Here is a book review I should have written awhile ago. It is for the book Eat Pray Love. Since this book was used in Oprah’s book club there is a surplus of them. You can get physical copies of the book for cheap. I think I paid less than $5 for my copy. That includes shipping. This contains spoilers, so if you want to see the movie or read the book don’t read this. You have been warned.

First of all the book is broken up into 3 parts; Italy, India and Indonesia. I really liked the beginning of the book where Liz is crying because she doesn’t want to have a baby.

Italy was interesting. I liked this part of the book. She takes Italian lessons, and eats a bunch of Italian food. She always wanted to learn Italian.

I like the part about her thinking she’ll be the aunt who wears a mood ring and read horoscopes. That was a scary thought since I thought that could be me; eventually.

India was the most boring part. I was so sick of being in Liz’s head. She couldn’t shut down her mind, and she complained about doing that for awhile in the India section. I got so frustrated reading that part of the book I wanted to scream at her “Just shut up and pray!”. Enough! Little miss cheesecake/groceries. Of course that is the part of the book when she meets Richard from Texas. He died recently, so you can be all sad about that.

Indonesia was ok. You knew Liz was going to get scammed by Wayan. It was so predictable. The road trip part was fun. Liz gets to speak “American” English. She also meets some guy there who I forget the name of. The one that becomes her boyfriend. The part when she is harassed by the kid on the beach was silly/confusing.

I did like her writing style…sort of; the descriptiveness of it. I wish I could write as descriptive as that. Describing ham as lusty is an art form! Don’t forget to sign a petition mentally. I think I couldn’t relate to the perkiness of her, her tendencies to get lost in a guy, and travel writing. All and all it is a “chick book”. You will like it if you like those kind of things. The movie will probably be a “chick flick“. I’m not really into those. I do watch them occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment