Saturday, September 17, 2011

I'm not Coming Home

The cooler weather got me thinking about fall, the start of school, football season and homecoming. I'm not going to my high school's homecoming. Gosh no! It's been 10 years since I left the place. I'm just happy that I'm not in high school anymore, and worried about coming up with different "costumes" for all the theme days. The horrible and inexplicable themes we were presented with. Especially since my school had to come up with 2 different ones. Themes for the people running in the homecoming court and the other students.

Which got me thinking when did the tradition of "spirit week" start? The traditions of dressing up and stuff like that. I asked my parents and they had no recollection of it. Just a football game, a dance and a court. (They collectively went to high school from about 1965-1975. They aren't the same age either.) Was it like the 80s? Because I remember my neighbor had a float frame the garage. Her and other high schoolers would come to her house and build it. This would have been circa 1987.

If anybody has any insight on this please leave a comment. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment