Monday, February 9, 2009

Second Worst Thanksgiving Ever!

This blog needs a little bit of a back story.

Since we were in the process of moving our Thanksgiving was up in the air. We decided to order food from Marie Calendar’s. Since there was still a lot of stuff at the old house I was still living there.

When I was going to sleep I was listening to “Bleed Like Me” (the song). I usually do. It comforts me and helps me sleep. As I was listening to the song with the lights off I saw a strange shadow, and I got really scared. Well at least it wasn’t a bird.

I was really missing my bed. I was tried of sleeping on the floor. It was really taking a toll on my back. I put up with it just to get away from all the craziness of moving.

My mom woke me up at like 8:30 AM. She brought me a chicken biscuit sandwich from McDonald’s for breakfast with hash browns and juice. That was a lot of food for me, and I was a little stuffed. My dad told her to bring me dip and a soda, so I could have that while I watched the parade and the dog show. I already had funyuns at the house with me. I wasn’t feeling it. I felt like Chandler from Friends. Maybe I’ll be like him in future Thanksgivings, but I’m not sure.

I really wanted to see Gwen’s float. I watched the opening credits of the parade to see if Gwen was going to be there. I thought it would be really cool if she was there on her float. She didn’t even have to sing; just be there. Her name wasn’t mentioned. I was disappointed.

A little while later it was Gwen’s float. It wasn’t what I expected. The Harajuku Lovers float left me disappointed. I thought it could have been better. It looked like her perfume bottles came to life. It was sort of creepy looking. Then I thought about all the animosity between the Gwen and Shirley fans which is sort of funny, and I really don’t get it. They are both so inspirational. I know Shirley’s fan’s would rag on Gwen’s float. The perfume bottle looking girls were like blow ups or something, but the arms were waving. There were also some human girls on the float. I’m not sure if they were the real Harajuku Girls or just some actors they hired or something. The commentators didn’t specify. On Gwen’s float I think they were plying “Hollaback Girl”. Shouldn’t they have played “Harajuku Girls”? It would have been more appropriate. Or even “What You Waiting For?”. It was funny because the Dora the Explorer balloon was before Gwen’s float. I forget what was after it though. I wish it would have been the pikachu balloon. I love pikachu. It could have been a Japan theme. Pikachu is from Japan. I love the pikachu balloon. Well I love pikachu in any form.

It was funny when Shontelle almost fell twice on the Ecko float. It was funny when Lauer said there was a school from “La Puenta” California. I had to see what the graphic said. It said “La Puente”, and I was trying to think about what school it was because they were wearing green. I knew it wasn’t Bassett because they are black and gold and I knew it wasn’t La Puente because they are orange and black. If I was still in high school they would have made a big deal about this, but I really didn’t care I was in the process of moving anyway. I just thought it was funny that he got the name wrong. I was really tired, so I decided that I’d go to sleep and wake up to eat. I was a little sad that I was going to miss the pikachu balloon. I go crazy for that.

When I woke up I almost missed the beginning of the dog show. I caught the end of the parade with Santa. I was happy that the toy group was the first group. I love toy dogs. My favorite breed (the pug) is in the toy category. I like all dogs even mutts, but I don’t know why I like toys so much. I guess cause they are so little. I got really hungry and ate a lot during the dog show. When my dad came to pick me up the show was already over.

When we got to the restaurant it was pretty crowded. There was a big line outside. There were a few different lines for different things like for meals, going into the restaurant and pies only. When we got in there. They didn’t have our reservation at all. Things couldn’t get any worse. They had to get the manager. She said they had no reservation under my dad’s name. They asked who I talked to over the phone, but I never got the name of anybody. I was thinking maybe the person who took our reservation over the phone is fired now. (that they got fired before Thanksgiving). They said they would have our meals in 10 minutes. It took a while since it was so crowded. They got our “on demand” order wrong too. They gave us 3 ranch salads, but we fixed that. They almost got the pies wrong too.

When we finally got back it was late and my mom noticed they didn’t give us any cornbread (which they were suppose to). I didn’t care. I just wanted to get out of there. My dad just wanted us to have dinner together since I was eating alone at the other house. Personally I liked it that way. It was a fun little vacation from my family. I found it incredibly peaceful and a little scary.

The food wasn’t that good. I was happy I got turkey instead of ham. The ham was horrible. The glaze was nasty. I loved the potatoes. I ate all of those. The bad thing was that the little trays they put the food in weren’t sectioned, so all the food mixed. I hate mixed food. The stuffing was horrible. I wasn’t even going to touch the vegetables. They looked gross. I was upset because my turkey piece didn’t have much skin on it, and the skin is my favorite part.

After we ate I was really bored. I was mad because I didn’t bring my CD player. I had all the fun stuff back at home. My dad wanted me to say for a while, but why would I? I could sleep over either. I didn’t even have a bed set up. My mom told me this was the worst Thanksgiving she ever had. I told her it was my 2nd worse.

The worst Thanksgiving I ever had was back in like 92 or 93 when I was stuck going to my grandma’s house. I missed watching the Rocky and Bullwinkle marathon because they were watching football at her house. It was so boring over there. I was so bored I mowed down her ice plant down with a push mower. When I was younger when I got bored sometimes I would get destructive.

Somebody was wearing a “Blossom” hat which was the style at the time. (I sound like grandpa Simpson there) One of my cousins was vegetarian and was telling everybody else at the kids’ table about the evils of meat. I didn’t feel like eating anyway because my grandma is a horrible cook. I was also upset because I wanted to eat with my parents. When we finally got home from that horrible experience the marathon was over.

I was so happy to finally get back “home”. I don’t know if I’ll hate Thanksgiving like Chandler from Friends does where he doesn’t even eat Thanksgiving foods, but I’m starting not to like it.

I was happy that Letterman had his mom making pies that year not like the year before when it was the strike and there were no new episodes in the month of November. Tv was so bleak back then.

1 comment:

  1. Well, thanksgiving is nothing more than a collaboration between the turkey, potato, and cranberry industries.

    Oh and yeah, when you order restaurant food to go, It's usually of a lesser quality than eating in, as there's less of a chance your going to return the food to the kitchen, since your at home

    ReplyDelete