Saturday, February 28, 2009

Farwell Conan

I was going to post this last week .

I don’t remember the exact day I started watching Conan. I’m pretty sure it was in the summer in 1995. 1995 was the year I got into watching late nite tv. I think I watched it the first time because an overhead helicopter woke me up and I couldn’t sleep, so I decided to watch tv. I loved Conan’s old animated opening.


I like his Farwell week. He showed a lot of great classic clips. Including a lot of ones with characters I forgot about like Pimpbot and that guy with the corn head. What was his name? I loved that they showed the Men Without Hats channel that was one of my favorites. I really liked hot dog catching. Too bad they didn’t show that one. I also wish they would have shown more Oldie Olson clips. I liked him. I wished they would showed some clips of when Conan and Andy went to LA like back in 1996. I think? I love that they showed Triumph with the Star Wars fans. That was one of my favorite Triumph segments. I really liked the ComicCon one too. I wonder if he will come to the Tonight show?

I liked when Martha Stewart came to wish him goodbye, and then they showed clips from when he was a guest on her old Living show. I miss that show. I like it better than her talk show. I remember when he was on in 2002. The only reason I remember this is because I watched this as a senior in high school. My friend and I thought he was hilarious on the show. I remember Conan wore a welder’s mask.

The bad thing about watching his last show was that my dad was watching it with me because he couldn’t sleep. He kept bothering me, and I couldn’t watch it in peace. He made me turn down the volume because it was too “loud”. I could barely hear it.

I liked that he showed that old timey baseball clip. He said that was one of his favorites. I love the part in the beginning when he finds the umpire’s granola bar.

My dad kept asking me really dumb questions about the show. Why did he watch this? Really? He’s not a Conan fan. Really? I liked that Andy came back for his last show. When The White Stripes were on my dad kept asking me a bunch of questions about them. I don’t know much about them. I’m not a fan of them. I think it would have been cool if he could’ve gotten Radiohead to play his last show.

When it was over Conan gave a speech. He mentioned how Letterman was his predecessor, and how he helped him. He didn’t mention this about Letterman, but when Conan first started out Letterman would send his standby audience to go see Conan’s show. Conan did his own thing. When he was named Leno’s successor Letterman publicly wished Conan the best on The Late Show. I heard Letterman still doesn’t talk to Leno. (I know the story I saw that made for cable movie The Late Shift. Why did the guy who was Letterman have red hair in that movie?) I think my dad was getting bored with his farewell speech, but I thought it was touching.

1 comment:

  1. Personally I think there should have been a final skit by Joel, as well as a final "ASS" tag for Max, conan, and andy since he was there. Oh, and Idk maybe its just me, but I think it would have been funny if they showed a small skit where all his characters that won't make it to L.A., all walk to an unemployment office or something.

    Over it was a very touching episode nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete