Thursday, July 16, 2009

Biased Assignment

This is another blog about my reporter teacher. Disclaimer: All opinions expressed about this teacher are solely my own.

So for one assignment for her class during the Internet/computers chapter of the book we had to meet up at the school’s computer lab to do the assignment.

It was a trap!

Everybody in the class was “required” AKA forced to write a review of the school newspaper’s website. When she announced that to the class a girl sitting 3 seats away from me made a sour face. I was tempted to write in my review that I shouldn’t be forced to review it, and that it is shameless self promotion.

I was funny when I overheard her tell some other student that the ABC (network) website was just one big ad.

Anyway she got mad at me because I used the word “boring” too much. I just wanted to hurry up and finish the work. She had a habit of assigning more work than you could complete. This is what she wrote on my paper regarding me overusing the word “boring”: “Never use the word ‘boring’-it is a reflection on the viewer and says nothing specific about the topic.” LOL! If “boring” wasn‘t to be used it would not be a word right? It is in the dictionary the last time I checked. I forgot to add that she underlined the words "viewer" and "says nothing" in her comment. I don't know how to use the underline feature. Does Blogger even have one?

I guess she was also pissed that I gave the school newspaper’s website a “3” (you had to rate the websites on a scale from 1-10) I was pissed about being forced to review it. I mean it was the first website you had to review. I mean you would want people to not be forced to review something because it could skew their opinion of it.

The funny thing is that the paper she handed out with the directions for the assignment said to use the words “flashy”, “practical”, “annoying”, and “user friendly”. What’s the difference between those words and the word “boring”?

I remembered when the work wasn’t the way she wanted I panicked. She was so picky about the way her work had to be formatted.

No comments:

Post a Comment