Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Boba is Overrated

This happened to me back in December when I didn’t have an Internet connection. I think story is kind of funny. I don’t know why I haven’t blogged about it.

My dad was saying about how much he was craving Chinese food; especially egg rolls. He wanted one from Jack in the Box. He kept telling me about how much he wanted to go to the Chinese restaurant that somebody from work brought some egg rolls from.

On the way to the restaurant he was raving about how good these egg rolls are. He was mad because it took a long time to get there. I don’t know what he expected. First of all he didn’t even tell me which city the restaurant was in. We don’t live where we use to. He was mad because the freeway was all crowded. It was like 6PM on a Saturday in mid December. It was all the way in Roland Heights. When we got up to the strip mall where it was he tells me it’s a sandwich shop. I thought maybe the place sold Chinese food and sandwiches. My dad doesn’t understand my affinity for Asian things. Even though I grew up in Chinese neighborhoods as a kid until I was 8.

When we went in there I was looking at the snacks they sell there. They sell Japanese gummi candy and those dried squid strips. Those dried squid strips are pretty good. The thing dad wanted they didn’t have. The thing he ate was a spring roll, and not an egg roll. They did have pork egg rolls, so he was upset and got those. Most of what they sell is sandwiches. Some of them were Asian style sandwiches. They also sell beef jerky there. I like the Asian style beef jerky it’s stickier than the American kind. Sometimes it’s fishier tasting too which I don’t mind.

I was looking at the different drinks, and there is this drink called “Italian Soda” which I’ve never heard of before. The manager was explaining what it was to me. It’s sort of like a snow cone in soda form. It’s made by mixing flavored syrup with soda water.

I wanted to try something; boba. I asked if they had some. They said they would put into a smoothie drink for you. All you had to do was choose the flavor. There were some flavors I never heard of and some were some that I would expect for a smoothie like avocado. I got a kiwi flavored one.

I was willing to try it for a few reasons. I wanted to try something new since a lot of people were raving about boba. I like tapioca in pudding, so I thought I’d like it in a drink.

When I tried it I liked it at first it sort of tasted like black current. I was drinking the dark pearls. They looked black or dark purple. At first I thought the texture was interesting. It was slimy and chewy. After a while of sipping it in the car the novelty wore off. I was just drinking the top of it the kiwi part. To me the flavors of tapioca pearls and kiwi flavored smoothie don’t mix.

I didn’t finish it so I put it in the fridge for the night. I guess it doesn’t store well because in the morning when I looked at it. It had separated. It looked really gross.

Here's a picture I found of a green smoothie with dark boba pearls on the bottom. My drink looked like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment