Friday, July 31, 2009

You Don’t Want to see the World the Way I Do

After watching the 30 Rock episode “Apollo Apollo!” It made me think about the way I see things. Kenneth my favorite character saw the world as puppets. Kenneth has that child like simpleton quality about him. I think if he was a real person we’d be friends. I’m not an optimist or anything. But I have been ridiculed for liking childish things. As I was watching Lambchop I was thinking about this. (I do enjoy watching puppets. You can laugh at me for this.)

I complied a list of some of my favorite simple pleasures as a kid:
Puppets, soda, kids’ toiletries, prize toys (like the kind you‘d get in cereal boxes and Happy Meals), birthday cards with cartoon characters on them, magic shows, balloons, getting my face painted, contorting into small spaces, stuffed animals, playing in the mud, coloring/stamping on my hands, cheap toys and stationary, stickers, and bandages.

I wish I could still look at the world like I use to. You know like when you are a kid and you see something as something else. Like when a stick can be a sword or a wooden post in your yard can be a microphone stand.

I feel that as I’ve aged this ability has weakened. Some people say I still have it, but it’s not as strong as it was.

I’m not all sunshine and rainbows though. I never was. I hate when people assume that about me. I wonder what the world look like through my eyes? I think it would be partially cutesy and partially terrifying at the same time.

The funny thing about this episode is when Jack watches a film of himself as a boy. He opens a present and he’s so excited about it he vomits.

I remember being really excited when I received some gifts. There is this picture of me at Christmas when I’m like 3 or 4 looking so happy brushing the hair on my Lady Lovelylocks doll. Too bad she didn’t last long and her head fell off in about 92 or 93. Head and neck problems are common in those dolls, and also for Peppermint Rose and 10 inch Skipper dolls.

But I can honestly say at any age I’ve never been so excited about something it made me vomit.

No comments:

Post a Comment