Monday, March 23, 2009

Angelfish Album Review

I know I bought that album like 2 months ago. It came in the mail the day my mom was in that accident.

“Dogs in a Cage” when I first heard I don’t really know how to describe it. It just has so much raw energy. I like the use of xylophone in this song

“Suffocate Me” of course this is the song that eventually lead to the formation for Garbage. Seriously listen to this song. The video is awesome too. You should watch it.

“You Can Love Her” I really don’t have much to say about this song. I like it, but I don’t really find anything really special about it.

“King of the World” Shirley sounds a little like Deborah Harry in this song. It sort of reminds me of the Blondie song “Maria” of course the Angelfish song predates it. This one of my favorites.

“Sleep With Me” is a great song.

“Heartbreak to Hate” this one is a fan favorite. I really like it a lot too. It’s my 3 rd favorite song off the album. This is my favorite part “Operator, the lines are dead Ringmaster, the lions are fed Your Honor, you know I was framed Surrounded in this stupid game”.

“The Sun Won’t Shine” I don’t know I really don’t have anything to say about this song.

“Mummy Can’t Drive” This has to be my favorite song off the album.

“Tomorrow Forever” a great break up song. “And all your drooling lapdogs can dig For another bone”. I just love this lyric.

“The End” I don’t know this was the only song I didn’t like on the album. It has yodeling in it. I think that is not really suitable to Shirley’s voice. She’s an incredible singer, but there are just some vocal stylings she can’t pull off. Like when she sang “Can‘t Cry These Tears”.

The cover art is good. It has a nice picture of Shirley wearing a button up shirt, tie and jacket. I think her eyes are closed in the picture, but I’m not sure. In the liner notes there is a picture of her, but it’s just her eyes and nose. It hardly looks like her. Of course I was listing to Angelfish as I was writing this to get in the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment